According to the World Health Organization (WHO) “masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water. If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.”
How to use a mask?
- Wash your hands with soap and water or clean it with an alcohol-based sanitiser before putting the mask on.
- Make sure that your nose and mouth are covered and that there are no gaps between the mask and your face.
- Do not touch the mask while you are wearing it, if you do, wash your hands with soap and water or clean it with an alcohol-based sanitiser before touching it.
- As soon as the mask becomes damp, throw it away and do not re-use single-use masks.
- When you are removing the mask; do not touch the front of the mask, remove it from behind; immediately throw it in a closed bin and wash your hands or clean it with sanitiser.
- If you use a cotton mask, wash it after every use with soap or detergent.
You should use a mask when you are taking care of someone that has COVID-19 or that is suspected to have it or if you are coughing or sneezing.
Remember not to waste medical supplies like masks and gloves, instead donate them to medical staff across the country.
For more information visit the World Health Organization (WHO) on www.who.int or the South African Coronavirus website on www.sacoronavirus.co.za.