How many times have you asked yourself why you’re gaining but not losing? Or professed “but I am eating healthy”. Does that healthy include the chocolate you ate on your way to work? Or last night’s late-night snacks?
We all cheat ourselves without even knowing it. I recently started monitoring what I eat and I asked those around me to do the same. At first, I was like nah, I eat healthy already, kaantie… Ek iet die hele soet goetes. I made the decision to start cutting a few things out of my diet.
Here is what I cut out that seems to be working for me.
- Sugar, no more sugar in my coffee, tea or cereal. In general, I also steer clear of food that contain a lot of sugar
- Bread, this was the hardest but I gradually started cutting down
- Fizzy drinks, no more Coke or other sweet fizzy drinks, it always made me feel very bloated
I couldn’t just cut from my diet, I had to reintroduce certain habits
- Water, I have been drinking water like crazy, it’s my new thing…not quite as tasty as Coke, I must admit, but it does do its thing
- Veggies, I have been adding veggies to almost all my meals
- Fruit, my new sweet indulgence 🙂
- Portion Control, this is the most important one, make sure not to overindulge. Keep your portions small and not to heavy.
The exercise part is a little tricky, however, I am working on it. I make sure I walk when I can, don’t judge me…
A journey taken one step at a time
This is a whole journey of self-discovery. So far I have discovered that I actually like veggies and fresh foods, water has become my best friend and coffee without sugar is even better.
The only reason I did this is because I started feeling a little uncomfortable in my skin, and I never use to. My clothes got tighter and my tummy bigger but mainly it was because I didn’t want to feel too winded and tired. I am not where I want to be just yet but I can feel my clothes fitting a little better and my energy is up.
When I started this two weeks ago I weighed 83kg, I haven’t weighed myself again but my final weigh-in will be at the end of Feb, watch this space for the follow-up.