VUT Students Die After Consuming Deadly Alcohol and Cough Syrup Mixture


Two Vaal University of Technology (VUT) students have died after being spotted allegedly drinking a mixture of alcohol and cough syrup at a friend’s house in Vanderbijlpark.

Although the two students were drinking together the Sunday, their bodies were found in different locations – not too far from each other – covered in vomit on Monday.

According to the Sharpeville police spokesperson, Constable Busisiwe Sango, the two students were at VUT’s external residence in Vanderbijlpark around 7pm on Sunday. “Around 7.45 they were showing signs of illness and one of their friends offered them a place to sleep. Only one of them slept there. The other student went to another resident’s residence which is a street away.”

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, this deadly concoction is popularly known as “syrup”, “lean”, “sizzurp” and “purple drank”. It is quite often mixed with cooldrink and cough medicine which greatly increases the risk of death.

A statement made by the university read, “The university wishes to express its deepest condolences to the families and friends and those who knew both our deceased students very well. The loss of one young life is one too many – our hearts and prayers are with both families and friends”.

One of the victims was studying towards a National Diploma in Arts and Design, while the other victim was studying towards a National Diploma Tourism Management.