Password management company NordPass has revealed a list of the 200 most common passwords used in 2020 and how long to it took to crack it.
The top 20 most common passwords are:
- senha (password in Spanish)
Most of the passwords took less than a second to crack with new entries 3, 10, 14, 18 and 20 taking between 10 seconds to 3 hours to crack. The rest of the list can be found on the NordPass website.
On creating stronger passwords, NordPass advises to:
- avoid using dictionary words, number combinations or adjacent keyboard letters like “password”, “qwerty”, or “123456”
- avoid repeating the same characters
- basing it on personal information that is not completely confidential such as your phone number, birth date, or name
- avoid using the same password across multiple accounts
- create passwords longer than 12 characters if possible
- Use a combination of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols
- change passwords every three months
If any of your passwords are on the list, it may be time to use these tips to ensure that your personal information is secure.