In his national address on Thursday, President Ramaphosa announced a gradual end to the nationwide lockdown, starting Friday 1 May.
A risk-adjusted strategy will be implemented with 5 alert levels.
- Level 5 – Drastic measures are required to contain the spread
- Level 4 – Extreme Precautions
- Level 3 – Restrictions on many activities
- Level 2- Physical and Social distancing
- Level 1 – Most Normal activity cab resume
The national level will be lowered from level 5 to level 4 on Friday 1 May.
Different levels of alert can be declared in specific provinces and districts based on epidemiological trends and the risk of infection.
National Command Council Ministers are expected provide more detail on each level in the coming weeks.