One-year-old baby dies after uncle sets room alight

Advertisement

A 22-month-old baby is dead after being trapped in a fire allegedly started by her uncle at their home in KwaZulu-Natal, reports say. The man allegedly poured petrol around a room in which the baby girl, her mother and grandmother were sitting, before setting it alight.

According to an IOL report, the uncle is due to appear in the Izingolweni Magistrate’s Court in Port Shepstone on Friday. He faces charges of murder and attempted murder.

The article quotes KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Nqobile Gwala: “The man had a five-litre container filled with petrol and he allegedly poured the petrol all over the area where his relatives were sitting. He then allegedly locked the room after setting it alight.”

Gwala said the women managed to escape with the baby, but the child died later in hospital.

The uncle then handed himself over at Ezinqoleni Police station, where he was charged.