Charl Kinnear murder accused Zane Kilian’s trial has been transferred to another court due to safety concerns.
Kilian appeared at the Bishop Lavis Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday. The court heard that the matter has been postponed to October 26, 27 and 30 for a bail application at the Bellville Regional Court.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) revealed that security concerns about the Bishop Lavis Court had previously been raised at a court appearance on October 5.
According to NPA regional spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila, all parties, including the defence and the State had agreed that the matter needed to be moved to another court. “The State was tasked with looking for a suitable new venue. The matter was then postponed to October 9, 2020.”
Ntabazalila said the State then approached the President of the Regional Court to secure a regional court for the bail application.
“Unfortunately the State was not able to secure such a venue when the matter was back on the roll on the morning of October 9. The matter was then postponed to October 14 to give the State time to get a response from the President of the Regional,” he said.
Ntabazalila said it was then decided on October 14 that the matter be postponed for the bail application and transferred to Bellville.
Kinnear, an Anti-Gang Unit detective, was shot outside his Bishop Lavis home on 18 September.
The accused, a former professional rugby player, has been charged with murder, conspiracy to commit murder and unlawful interception of communication. He allegedly tracked Kinnear’s cellphone from March until the day he was murdered. However, he reportedly remains adamant about his innocence in the matter.
Kinnear’s assassin was captured on security cameras but is yet to be arrested. Kilian was arrested on 21 September in Gauteng.
Reports say Kilian’s lawyer insists his client worked in the private security industry and is authorised to conduct surveillance.