Arrests, running gun battles and high speed chases as gang violence flares

Picture: Supplied

Police patrolling areas on the Cape Flats were caught in gang warfare in Heideveld and Bishop Lavis this weekend with running gun battles, high speed car chases and several gunshots being fired.

Spokesperson for Western Cape police, Captain FC Van Wyk, said officers “committed to keeping their communities safe” put themselves in harms way to arrest three suspects (one in Heideveld and two in Bishop Lavis) for various charges, including attempted murder and possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition.

Van Wyk said on Sunday afternoon at about 12:00 a 37-year-old man was arrested for attempted murder in Heideveld.

“Members attached to Manenberg SAPS responded to a shooting incident in Zuurberg Road, Heideveld, where several shots were randomly fired from a suspicious vehicle. As the members patrolled the immediate area they spotted a silver Mercedes Benz, and as they approached the vehicle the driver accelerated and sped off. After a short high speed chase the vehicle was stopped in Fifth Avenue, Heideveld,” he said.

After searching the vehicle and the suspect, police found him in possession of legal registered firearm.

“He will appear in court once charged and face charges of attempted murder and his firearm will be confiscated and handed in as evidence,” Van Wyk said.

Busy Saturday for Bishop Lavis CPU

Then on Saturday, in Bishop Lavis a 20-year-old man was arrested for possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition in Oleander Street, Netreg.

Van Wyk said the Bishop Lavis Crime Prevention Unit were busy with an operation related to a shooting incident earlier on Saturday.

“When the members were driving down Oleander Street in Netreg, they saw four males sitting on the corner. When the vehicle stopped, two males walked away and the SAPS members stopped and searched them. They found one of them in possession of a revolver and five rounds of ammunition,” he said.

The suspect failed to produce a valid licence for the firearm and was arrested and detained at Bishop Lavis SAPS.

Van Wyk said once charged, the suspect will appear in Bishop Lavis Magistrate Court on a charge of possession of unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

On the same day, officers were busy with patrols near to Gloxinia Street when they heard gunshots and followed pursuit.

“They saw three males firing gunshots in the direction of another group of men in Kalksteenfontein. The members followed on foot, crossing the railway line and noticed how the three males were hiding themselves behind a wall,” Van Wyk said.

He said the suspects then shot at the police officers, who retaliated by returning fire.

Van Wyk explained: “The trio then fled the scene and SAPS members followed the one suspect running with the firearm openly displayed in his hand. A 24-year-old male was arrested. Once charged the suspect will appear in the Bishop Lavis Magistrate court on a charge of possession of unlicensed firearm and ammunition.