Desmond and Leah Tutu Unharmed Following Fire at Their Hermanus Home

Source: Facebook @TutuLegacyFoundation

In a statement released by the Desmond and Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation on Wednesday, it was announced that a fire had broken out in the couples home at a retirement village in the town of Hermanus.

According to the statement, the fire broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning. The couple has extended their gratitude to staff members at the retirement village and members of the fire department who responded swiftly to defuse the situation. The Tutus did not sustain any injuries during the fire.

While the cause of the fire has not been confirmed, it is suspected that it was caused by a faulty gas heater.