A video on News24 shows a group of homeless people trying to escape the tent encampment, erected to house them during the lockdown, in Strandfontein, Cape Town on Tuesday.
According to News24, Mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith, said conflict erupted between people who did not want others, who had arrived from Somerset West, in their tent.
Reports suggest that some of those who had already been screened thought they could leave and return to the areas they came from. When clarity was given that this was not the case, they pulled down one of the internal fences in an attempt to escape. Four of the encampment residents climbed over the perimeter wall, according to Smith, three of them had already been apprehended.
According to reports some in the group had since indicated they would remain at the site.
The Strandfontein Ratepayers and Residents Association had since asked residents to avoid the area until the situation had calmed down.
The City of Cape Town said according to the police, any person who left the site would be in violation of the national lockdown regulations and would be dealt with accordingly.
The GOOD party and the ANC complained about the facilities provided for the homeless, with GOOD calling it a “medieval” set-up.