Alleged underworld crime boss Nafiz Modack has filed for R7m in damages for what he claims was an unlawful arrest and malicious prosecution related to a nightclub extortion racket in Cape Town.
Modack was arrested for the alleged extortion in 2017, however attempts to have him prosecuted have failed. He filed papers for the damages complaint in the Cape High Court last week.
The businessman – who has links to the private security industry – is also at the centre of a gun licence fraud probe with possible links to the murder of top cop Charl Kinnear.
According to a News24 report, Modack has fingered various police officers and two men for assisting in the investigation against him.
Last month he accused provincial head of detectives Major-General Jeremy Vearey and anti-gang unit head Major-General Andre Lincoln of plotting against him.
Modack told CapeTalk that he wants the allegations against Vearey and Lincoln investigated. He has since opened a case at Bothasig Police station.
Vearey hit back, rubbishing the allegation against him in a Facebook post he titled: The Stuff Cheap B-Grade Movies Are Made Of.
Vearey wrote: “From the idiotic shenanigans of rogue crime intelligence officers to the Capone-pretenders whose interests they really serve. Add some embedded pseudo-journalists who write under-sourced and over-opinionated stories, and you have the perfect material for parody. A tabloid world where so much is said on the basis of so little, and stories are spun out of stale air.”
He continued: “You can’t make this sh*t up, it actually reeks. Perhaps it is time to write novels. In fact, that is what I’ll do next. On a not too distant dystopian reality in which the tabloid reporter/wannabe-gangster/wannabe-spy axis of gaslighting, actually believe that they act in the public interest. And this News24 article makes excellent research material. Titles anybody?”
Former editor and media expert Ryland Fisher posted a response: “But this is an old story that was published in the Sunday Times and then discredited, leading to an apology from the paper. Journalists shouldn’t allow themselves to be used like this.”
Vearey said he plans on lodging a civil lawsuit “against all the parties involved”.
According to CapeTalk, News24 editor Adriaan Basson will meet Vearey to discuss the matter in December.